1 Pair of Jeans, 2 Sewing Projects: From Old denim to an Embroidered Travel Tote

 

I love finding new ways to use old denim.

This project started with one pair of jeans that I thrifted and decided to give them a second life. The top part of the jeans became a pair of romantic ruffled denim shorts.

And the remaining denim? It became this oversized embroidered getaway tote.

At the same time, I had also saved a beautiful embroidered cotton shirt from a thrift shop. The delicate flowers immediately reminded me of summer gardens and holidays in Greece.

I knew these fabrics deserved a second life.

As soon as I looked at the remaining denim pieces, I immediately knew what I wanted to make.

I decided to use my Getaway Tote Bag and Ruffle Pouch sewing pattern.

The oversized shape was perfect for combining the faded denim with the beautiful embroidered fabric from the thrifted shirt and I loved the idea of turning these forgotten materials into something both practical and romantic.


Little by little, the bag started taking shape.

I quilted the panels, added pockets and combined the sturdy denim with the soft embroidered fabric.

Because I had travel in mind while making this bag, I also added one of my favourite features: the luggage sleeve pocket on the back.

I love practical details and this pocket allows the bag to slide over the handle of a suitcase, making it perfect for airport trips, train journeys and weekend escapes. 

The bag has also an extra front pocket for documents, anything you want to keep close at hand while travelling.


One of my favourite moments was making the matching ruffle pouch from the remaining scraps. I always enjoy using as much fabric as possible and the little pouch is perfect for storing small essentials.

The faded denim, the floral embroidery and all the practical details, especially the luggage sleeve and matching ruffle pouch, came together to create a bag that feels both romantic and useful.

If you would like to make your own version, the Getaway Tote and Ruffle Pouch PDF sewing pattern is available in my Etsy shop. It works beautifully with old jeans, vintage linens and reclaimed fabrics, making every bag completely unique.

And if sewing is not your thing, this one-of-a-kind embroidered getaway tote is also available as a finished handmade piece in my Etsy shop.

Because every piece of old fabric deserves a new story.

XXX

Tatiana ❤️

Comments