1 Pair of Jeans, 2 Sewing Projects: Part 1 - DIY Ruffled Denim Shorts

 Sometimes inspiration appears when you least expect it.

A few weeks ago, I came across a pair of designer denim shorts with lace ruffles. They were beautiful, feminine and so romantic, I just fell in love with the idea. Then I saw the price.

€450.

Instead of wishing they were mine, I started wondering how I could create something with the same feeling using materials that already existed.

That thought stayed with me for days.

When I looked through my fabric collection, I found exactly what I needed: a second-hand pair of authentic Levi's jeans that I had recently thrifte and a vintage cotton tablecloth waiting patiently for its next life.

That's how these upcycled denim shorts with lace ruffles began.

One of the reasons I love upcycling old jeans is that every project begins with possibility.

Instead of seeing worn denim, I see fabric with a story already written.

The jeans already had beautiful fading, soft texture and years of character. The vintage tablecloth brought something completely different: a delicate cotton lace that softened the denim without taking away its personality.

I wasn't trying to recreate the designer shorts, I just wanted to create something that felt like me.

I carefully shortened the jeans, reshaped the legs and created gathered ruffles from the vintage tablecloth before sewing everything together.

Because I work with reclaimed textiles, every project is different. Even if I wanted to make another pair, they would never look exactly the same.

That's one of the things I love most about UPCYCLING!

These shorts are actually Project No. 1 in my One Pair of Jeans, Two Projects series.

Rather than using only part of the jeans and throwing the rest away, I wanted to challenge myself to use as much of the original garment as possible.

The top half became these lace ruffle shorts. If you'd like to make them part of your wardrobe, they're available in my Etsy shop.

The remaining denim is already becoming a getaway tote bag, which I'll be sharing very soon.

I like the idea that one forgotten pair of jeans can begin two completely new stories.

So If You Love Upcycling...

and been collecting old jeans because you know they'll become something one day, don't throw them away just yet. A worn pair of denim might become a bag or a jacket or a quilt.

Or if you're lucky, a pair of lace ruffle shorts that you'll enjoy wearing for years.

Sometimes all a piece of fabric needs is someone willing to imagine it differently.

XXX

Tatiana ❤️


Comments